Introduction to Faculty of Science
Khon Kaen University (KKU) is the first regional university in northeastern Thailand. Faculty of Science was one of the first three faculties established in KKU in 1964. It was named Faculty of Science and Arts and founded to offer basic requirement courses to all students at KKU. The faculty started offering a Bachelor program in science (B.Sc.) in 1973. In 1978, the faculty was renamed’ Faculty of Science’ when Departments of English and Library Science were transferred to Faculty of Humanities and Social Science. At present, the faculty consists of nine department: Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics, Statistics, Microbiology, Computer Science. In 2007, the faculty has 215 academic staff members, encompassing 103 members with doctoral degrees, 103 with master degrees, and 9 with bachelor degrees.
Bachelor of Science degree programs in Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Statistics, Microbiology, Biochemistry, Environmental Science, Computer Science, Mathematics, Applied Mathematics, Information Technology and Geographical Information Systems
Master of Science degree programs in Biology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Physics, Physical Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Inorganic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Polymer Science, Environmental Science, Mathematics, Applied Mathematics, Applied Statistics, Computer Science, Information Technology, Geographic Information System and Remote Sensing, Chemistry for Teachers, Biology for Teachers and Forensic Science
Doctoral degree programs in Biology, Biochemistry, Physics, Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Mathematics and Computer Science
Students are admitted to the Faculty of Science in one of the following programs:
(1) Admission through the Quota Program. Students from high schools in the Northeast are entitled to apply for admission to the Faculty by submitting their O-NET and A-NET scores during the months of November-December each year for admission to study in the following academic year.
(2) Admission through the Commission on Higher Education (CHE). Senior high-school students from all over the country can apply for admission to the faculty through the Central Admission Program organized by CHE during March-April each year.
(3) The Development and Promotion of Science and Technology Talent Project (DPST). Students enrolled in this project are selected by a special entrance examination. Full scholarships are provided to students in this project to cover their study expense from Bachelor through to doctoral degrees.
(4) International students under sponsorships from Thai and international agencies are admitted. Interested students may directly contact the Deputy Dean for Academic Affairs.
(1) Students get admitted to the program through entrance examination organized by the Graduate School during March-April (for the first-semester admission) and September-October (for the second-semester admission)
(2) International students under support from the Thai government or international agencies who are interested in admission to the faculty can directly contact the head of the department to which the program belongs or the Deputy Dean for Academic Affairs.
(1) The faculty offers 100 scholarships worth up to 15,000 baht/year each, from the Faculty of Science’s Student Support Fund, to students from low-income families.
(2) The DPST project offers 20 new scholarships worth 48,000/year to talented students.
(3) The faculty offers 50 scholarships worth 6,000 baht from the government’s budget.
(4) The faculty offers around 30 scholarships worth 2,000 – 25,000 baht donated by various private sectors and individuals.
(1) The KKU Graduate School provides a large number of financial supports to cover research expenses for M.Sc. (up to 50,000 baht) and Ph.D. (up to 100,000 baht) theses.
(2) The KKU Graduate School also provides financial support (30,000-70,000 baht) for students to carry out short-term study and research at an overseas institution.
(3) The faculty provides a number of TA and RA scholarships.
(4) The faculty staff members obtain a large number of scholarships to support student’s research, enrollment and living expenses from several government agencies and research funding programs including, Thailand Research Fund (TRF), National Science and Technology Development Agency (NSTDB), The Royal Golden Jubilee Project (RGJ), Biodiversity Research Thailand (BRT), PERCH etc.